Our winters can be bitterly cold and our summers uncomfortably hot, so it's essential to have a good heating and cooling system in your home. One option you may not have considered is underfloor heating. In this article, we'll look at some of the advantages of underfloor heating and how it can benefit you and your home. We will also introduce you to Ingersoll's Refrigeration Air Conditioning & Heating, the leading provider of underfloor heating in Fairhope, AL.
What Is Underfloor Heating?
An underfloor heating system is one in which the flooring itself is used to generate and distribute heat evenly throughout a room. In many cases, underfloor heating is used instead of or in addition to traditional forced-air systems, like furnaces and boilers.
How Does Underfloor Heating Work?
Underfloor heating relies on electricity or hot water to heat either thin wires or tubing that is laid under the flooring. The heat then radiates upwards, warming the floor above it. This radiant heat helps to evenly distribute the warmth throughout the room, as opposed to traditional forced-air systems, which can often create hot and cold spots. It's also why underfloor heating is often referred to as "radiant floor heating."
What Are The Types Of Underfloor Heating
There are two main types of underfloor heating:
- Electric underfloor heating system- Electric underfloor heating systems rely on thin wires laid under the flooring. These wires are then connected to an electrical source, which heats them and causes them to radiate heat upward.
- Hydronic underfloor heating systems - Hydronic underfloor heating systems rely on hot water circulated through tubing that is laid under the flooring. The heat from the water then radiates upward, warming the floor above it.
What Are The Advantages Of Underfloor Heating
There are several advantages to using underfloor heating in your home, including:
- Increased Energy Efficiency - Underfloor heating is more energy efficient than traditional forced-air systems because it doesn't rely on circulating air to distribute heat. This means that there is less air movement, which can help to reduce your energy bills.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality - Because underfloor heating doesn't rely on circulating air, it can also help to improve your indoor air quality. By reducing the amount of dust and other allergens circulated through your home, you can help to improve your respiratory health.
- Enhanced Comfort - Underfloor heating provides a more even distribution of heat throughout a room, creating a more comfortable living environment. In addition, because the floor is heated, you won't have to worry about cold spots on your feet in the winter.
- Healthy Heating - Underfloor heating is a healthier alternative to traditional forced-air systems because it doesn't rely on circulating air to distribute heat. This means there is less opportunity for dust and other allergens to be circulated through your home, which can help improve your respiratory health. Dust mites, known to trigger asthma and other respiratory problems, thrive in relaxed environments. Underfloor heating eliminates cold floors and creates an unfavorable environment for dust mites, making it a perfect solution for those with allergies or asthma.
- Easy Installation - Underfloor heating systems are relatively easy to install, especially if replacing an existing forced-air system. In many cases, the only change you will need to make is installing the new underfloor heating system under your flooring.
As you can see, there are many advantages to using underfloor heating in your home. Underfloor heating may be the perfect solution for you if you are looking for a more efficient and comfortable way to heat your home.
What Is The Best Type Of Flooring For Underfloor Heating?
There are a variety of flooring types that can be used with underfloor heating, including:
- Carpet - A carpet is an excellent option for underfloor heating because it is an insulator, which means it will help to hold in the heat. In addition, carpet is available in various colors and textures, so you can find an option that fits your style.
- Wood - Wood flooring is another great option for underfloor heating because it is an excellent conductor of heat. This means that the heat will be evenly distributed throughout the room, making it more comfortable. In addition, wood flooring is easy to maintain and can be refinished if it becomes damaged.
- Tile - Tile is another excellent conductor of heat, making it a great choice for underfloor heating. The tile is also easy to clean and maintain, making it a perfect option for busy families. In addition, tile comes in various colors and styles, so you can find an option that fits your décor.
As you can see, there are a variety of flooring types that can be used with underfloor heating. Underfloor heating may be the right solution if you want your home to be heated more efficiently and comfortably.
How Much Does Underfloor Heating Cost?
The cost of underfloor heating depends on various factors, including the size of your home, the type of flooring you have, and the climate. Underfloor heating generally costs between $3 and $5 per square foot, making it an affordable option for most homeowners.
No matter what type of flooring you have, underfloor heating can be a great way to improve your home's comfort and efficiency. Underfloor heating may be the perfect solution for you if you are looking for an affordable way to heat your home.
What Are The Things You Need To Consider When Installing Underfloor Heating?
When installing underfloor heating, there are a few things that you need to consider, including:
- The size of your home - Your home will determine the amount of underfloor heating you need. If you have a large house, you will need more underfloor heating than a small home.
- The type of flooring you have - The type of flooring you have will determine how well the underfloor heating works. Carpet is an excellent insulator, while wood and tile are excellent conductors of heat.
- The climate - The climate will also affect underfloor heating. If you live in a cold environment, you will need more underfloor heating than in a warm atmosphere.
As you can see, there are a few things that you need to consider when installing underfloor heating. If you take the time to consider these factors, you can be sure that your underfloor heating system will work correctly and efficiently.
Contact An Underfloor Heating Contractor In Fairhope, AL
If you are interested in underfloor heating for your home, then Ingersoll's Refrigeration Air Conditioning & Heating can help. They are the leading provider of underfloor heating systems and can help you find the perfect solution for your home.
Ingersoll's Refrigeration Air Conditioning & Heating has been providing underfloor heating systems to homeowners in Fairhope, AL, for over 25 years. They are a family-owned and operated business that takes pride in its work. Contact Ingersoll's Refrigeration Air Conditioning & Heating today to learn about underfloor heating and how it can benefit your home.